Our Barbados and Trinidad offices are staffed with English and regionally qualified legal personnel. Our experience of maritime law, international trade law, ship arrest, environmental damage regulation and response, tonnage limitation and limitation actions, bill of lading and charterparty disputes, maritime arbitration, and criminal proceedings against ship masters and officers, is unique in the region. We have an unparalleled knowledge of the practices and procedures of the local courts, with in-house and agency resources throughout the Caribbean.
We have in-house Master Mariners, Chief Engineers, Naval Architects, Marine Ecology and Environmental Management expertise, Pilots, Crew Injury and rehabilitation specialists, and unique regional law expertise. We are pleased to provide advice, assistance, and expert evidence before courts and tribunals in these areas.
We understand the demands of international commerce, the maritime industry and its insurers.
Our clients include multinational companies, banks, insurance companies, P&I Clubs, Defence Clubs, shipowners, charterers and traders, as well as law firms around the world.
We provide a range of services Caribbean-wide, including legal support and consultancy, investigations, conduct of arbitration and civil litigation (both in the region and in London), multi-jurisdictional law reviews, regional law opinions, and defence of criminal proceedings in relation to maritime and commercial matters. In addition to our extensive experience in contentious matters, we have experience gained both in the region and internationally across a broad spectrum of corporate and non-contentious matters, including: establishment; operation; joint venture, partnership and shareholder arrangements; and drafting of commercial contracts.
Multi-Jurisdictional and General Legal Services
Because of our unique coverage of the entire region, encompassing English, French, Dutch and Spanish speaking countries, we are often called upon to provide advice and assistance crossing multiple jurisdictions.
Particular services we have provided across multiple Caribbean jurisdictions include:
- Advertising: comparison of regional advertising laws.
- Asset finance and leasing: establishment and registration of asset lease contracts, and enforcement.
- Competition: comparison of regional competition laws.
- Corporate: establishment of subsidiary, operating and offshore entities; comparison of regional offshore jurisdictions; background research and company searches and investigations.
- Customs and immigration procedures: advice on particular requirements in varying regional locations.
- Partnerships and joint ventures: establishment of international and cross-border partnerships and joint ventures.
- Publications: contribution of sections on multiple Caribbean jurisdictions to the 2011 edition of Berlingieri on Arrest of Ships, and to in-house web based maritime law resource centres. We contribute regularly to P&I Club and trade magazines and periodicals.
- Practice and procedure: application in multiple jurisdictions of the Civil Procedure Rules, including variations in application of the same rules in different jurisdictions.
- Statute and Constitutional Interpretation: cross-referencing and interpretation of similar statutory provisions enacted in various former British colonies and consideration of constitutional issues.
- Tourism: provision of expert local standards reports for reference in legal proceedings in England & Wales relating to health and safety, building standards, food hygiene, outdoor activities, hotel security, and other aspects of the tourism industry.
- Drafting: drafting, preparation and negotiation of commercial contracts, employment contracts, contracts of affreightment, charterparties, partnership agreements, and the like.
- Enforcement of overseas judgments: advising on enforcement of foreign judgments throughout the Caribbean.